Sunday, September 04, 2005

A tourist's view of Nawlins

I dug up my crappy snapshots of New Orleans taken back in October of 2001 on during a College Media Advisers conference. I thought I had a lot more than I actually do; without photos, I'll have to work extra hard to retain the memories of that city, since it will never be the same.

I'll add more to this collection as I recover them from my old hard drive.

Nawlins
We had a corner hotel room at the Hyatt Regency (which looks like this now), so I got several good shots of the city from our room.

Nawlins
I imagine most of this is underwater now.

Nawlins

Superdome
You can see the Superdome over there, peeking out. And the black building to the left is the other wing of the hotel.

Jackson statue
The Andrew Jackson statue in the famous Jackson Square.

Tour guide
We took a haunted history tour from this guy, which turned out to be excellent instead of corny. We heard lots of gruesome slave tales and voodoo legends and I spent a good deal of time genuinely creeped out, walking those historied streets at midnight.

glass wall
I thought it was interesting that a lot of the homes in town were surrounded by high walls topped with glass jutting up out of cement along the top — to keep out intruders.

skeevy men gone wild
These guys were actually the College Publisher representatives, drunk and clamoring to see young, nubile nipples along Bourbon Street. Shudder.

Street Smarts
Pam tried out for Street Smarts and actually did a good job playing some sort of airhead role, but she didn't make it. The best part about this photo is the baloon animals on the guy's head in the background. Ah, New Orleans, your drunken tourists salute you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home